[VOTE] Release 1.6.1, release candidate #1

[VOTE] Release 1.6.1, release candidate #1

Till Rohrmann
Hi everyone,
Please review and vote on the release candidate #1 for the version 1.6.1,
as follows:
[ ] +1, Approve the release
[ ] -1, Do not approve the release (please provide specific comments)

The complete staging area is available for your review, which includes:
* JIRA release notes [1],
* the official Apache source release and binary convenience releases to be
deployed to dist.apache.org [2], which are signed with the key
with fingerprint 1F302569A96CFFD5 [3],
* all artifacts to be deployed to the Maven Central Repository [4],
* source code tag "release-1.6.1-rc1" [5],
* website pull request listing the new release and adding announcement
blog post [6].

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours. It is adopted by majority
approval, with at least 3 PMC affirmative votes.

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315522&version=12343752
[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flink/flink-1.6.1/
[3] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/flink/KEYS
[4] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180
[5] https://github.com/apache/flink/tree/release-1.6.1-rc1
[6] https://github.com/apache/flink-web/pull/124

Cheers,
Till

Pro-tip: you can create a settings.xml file with these contents:

<settings>
<activeProfiles>
  <activeProfile>flink-1.6.0</activeProfile>
</activeProfiles>
<profiles>
  <profile>
    <id>flink-1.6.0</id>
    <repositories>
      <repository>
        <id>flink-1.6.0</id>
        <url>

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180/
<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1178/>
        </url>
      </repository>
      <repository>
        <id>archetype</id>
        <url>

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180/
<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1178/>
        </url>
      </repository>
    </repositories>
  </profile>
</profiles>
</settings>

And reference that in your maven commands via --settings
path/to/settings.xml. This is useful for creating a quickstart based on the
staged release and for building against the staged jars.

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.6.1, release candidate #1

Gary Yao
+1 (non-binding)

Ran test suite from the flink-jepsen project on AWS EC2 without issues.

Best,
Gary

On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 11:32 PM, Till Rohrmann <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Please review and vote on the release candidate #1 for the version 1.6.1,
> as follows:
> [ ] +1, Approve the release
> [ ] -1, Do not approve the release (please provide specific comments)
>

> The complete staging area is available for your review, which includes:
> * JIRA release notes [1],
> * the official Apache source release and binary convenience releases to be
> deployed to dist.apache.org [2], which are signed with the key
> with fingerprint 1F302569A96CFFD5 [3],
> * all artifacts to be deployed to the Maven Central Repository [4],
> * source code tag "release-1.6.1-rc1" [5],
> * website pull request listing the new release and adding announcement
> blog post [6].
>
> The vote will be open for at least 72 hours. It is adopted by majority
> approval, with at least 3 PMC affirmative votes.
>
> [1]
> projectId=12315522&version=12343752
> [2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flink/flink-1.6.1/
> [3] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/flink/KEYS
> [4] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180
> [5] https://github.com/apache/flink/tree/release-1.6.1-rc1
> [6] https://github.com/apache/flink-web/pull/124
>
> Cheers,
> Till
>
> Pro-tip: you can create a settings.xml file with these contents:
>
> <settings>
> <activeProfiles>
>   <activeProfile>flink-1.6.0</activeProfile>
> </activeProfiles>
> <profiles>
>   <profile>
>     <id>flink-1.6.0</id>
>     <repositories>
>       <repository>
>         <id>flink-1.6.0</id>
>         <url>
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180/
> <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1178/>
>         </url>
>       </repository>
>       <repository>
>         <id>archetype</id>
>         <url>
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180/
> <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1178/>
>         </url>
>       </repository>
>     </repositories>
>   </profile>
> </profiles>
> </settings>
>
> And reference that in your maven commands via --settings
> path/to/settings.xml. This is useful for creating a quickstart based on the
> staged release and for building against the staged jars.

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.6.1, release candidate #1

Fabian Hueske-2
+1 binding

* I checked the diffs and did not find any added dependencies or updated
dependency versions.
* I checked the sha hash and signatures of all release artifacts.

Best, Fabian

> [...]
> >
> >         </url>
> >       </repository>
> >       <repository>
> >         <id>archetype</id>
> >         <url>
> >
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180/
> > <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1178/
> >
> >         </url>
> >       </repository>
> >     </repositories>
> >   </profile>
> > </profiles>
> > </settings>
> >
> > And reference that in your maven commands via --settings
> > path/to/settings.xml. This is useful for creating a quickstart based on
> the
> > staged release and for building against the staged jars.

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.6.1, release candidate #1

vino yang
+1

I checked the new Flink version in the  root pom file.
I checked the announcement blog post and make sure the version number is
right.
I checked out the source code and ran mvn package (without test)

Thanks, vino.

Fabian Hueske <[hidden email]> 于2018年9月20日周四 上午4:54写道:

> [...]
> > >
> > >         </url>
> > >       </repository>
> > >       <repository>
> > >         <id>archetype</id>
> > >         <url>
> > >

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180/
> > > <
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1178/
> > >
> > >         </url>
> > >       </repository>
> > >     </repositories>
> > >   </profile>
> > > </profiles>
> > > </settings>
> > >
> > > And reference that in your maven commands via --settings
> > > path/to/settings.xml. This is useful for creating a quickstart based on
> > the
> > > staged release and for building against the staged jars.

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.6.1, release candidate #1

shimin yang
-1

Could you merge the FLINK-10243 into release 1.6.1. I think the
configurable latency metrics will be quite useful and not much work to
merge.

Best,
Shimin

vino yang <[hidden email]> 于2018年9月20日周四 下午2:08写道:

> +1
>
> I checked the new Flink version in the  root pom file.
> I checked the announcement blog post and make sure the version number is
> right.
> I checked out the source code and ran mvn package (without test)
>
> Thanks, vino.
>
> Fabian Hueske <[hidden email]> 于2018年9月20日周四 上午4:54写道:
>
> > +1 binding
> >
> > * I checked the diffs and did not find any added dependencies or updated
> > dependency versions.
> > * I checked the sha hash and signatures of all release artifacts.
> >
> > Best, Fabian

> > > +1 (non-binding)
> > >
> > > Ran test suite from the flink-jepsen project on AWS EC2 without issues.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Gary

> > 1.6.1,

> includes:
> > > be
> announcement

> majority

> > > orgapacheflink-1180

> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180/
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1178/

> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180/
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1178/

> on
> > > the

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.6.1, release candidate #1

Till Rohrmann
I would not block the release on FLINK-10243 since you can always
deactivate the latency metrics. Instead we should discuss whether to back
port this scalability improvement and include it in a next bug fix release.
For that, I suggest to write on the JIRA thread.

Cheers,
Till

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 8:52 AM shimin yang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -1
>
> Could you merge the FLINK-10243 into release 1.6.1. I think the
> configurable latency metrics will be quite useful and not much work to
> merge.
>
> Best,
> Shimin
>
> vino yang <[hidden email]> 于2018年9月20日周四 下午2:08写道:
>
> > +1
> >
> > I checked the new Flink version in the  root pom file.
> > I checked the announcement blog post and make sure the version number is
> > right.
> > I checked out the source code and ran mvn package (without test)
> >
> > Thanks, vino.
> >
> > Fabian Hueske <[hidden email]> 于2018年9月20日周四 上午4:54写道:
> >
> > > +1 binding
> > >
> > > * I checked the diffs and did not find any added dependencies or
> updated
> > > dependency versions.
> > > * I checked the sha hash and signatures of all release artifacts.
> > >
> > > Best, Fabian

> issues.

> [hidden email]>

> > > 1.6.1,
> comments)

> > includes:
> releases
> > announcement

> > majority

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180/
> > >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1178/

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180/
> > >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1178/

> based
> > on

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.6.1, release candidate #1

Till Rohrmann
+1 (binding)

- Verified checksums and signatures
- Ran all end-to-end tests
- Executed Jepsen test suite (including test for standby JobManager)
- Build Flink from sources
- Verified that no new dependencies were added

Cheers,
Till

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 9:23 AM Till Rohrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would not block the release on FLINK-10243 since you can always
> deactivate the latency metrics. Instead we should discuss whether to back
> port this scalability improvement and include it in a next bug fix release.
> For that, I suggest to write on the JIRA thread.
>
> Cheers,
> Till
>
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 8:52 AM shimin yang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> -1
>>
>> Could you merge the FLINK-10243 into release 1.6.1. I think the
>> configurable latency metrics will be quite useful and not much work to
>> merge.
>>
>> Best,
>> Shimin
>>
>> vino yang <[hidden email]> 于2018年9月20日周四 下午2:08写道:
>>
>> > +1
>> >
>> > I checked the new Flink version in the  root pom file.
>> > I checked the announcement blog post and make sure the version number is
>> > right.
>> > I checked out the source code and ran mvn package (without test)
>> >
>> > Thanks, vino.
>> >
>> > Fabian Hueske <[hidden email]> 于2018年9月20日周四 上午4:54写道:

>> updated

>> issues.

>> [hidden email]>

>> comments)

>> > includes:
>> releases
>> [4],
>> > announcement

>> > majority

>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180/
>> > >
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1178/

>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180/
>> > >
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1178/

>> based
>> > on

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.6.1, release candidate #1

Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai
+1 (binding)

- Verified checksums / signatures
- Checked announcement PR in flink-web
- Built Flink from sources, test + build passes (Hadoop-free, Scala 2.11)
- Ran Elasticsearch 6 sink, using quickstart POM.
- Ran end-to-end tests locally, passes

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 4:31 PM Till Rohrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 (binding)
>
> - Verified checksums and signatures
> - Ran all end-to-end tests
> - Executed Jepsen test suite (including test for standby JobManager)
> - Build Flink from sources
> - Verified that no new dependencies were added
>
> Cheers,
> Till
>
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 9:23 AM Till Rohrmann <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I would not block the release on FLINK-10243 since you can always
> > deactivate the latency metrics. Instead we should discuss whether to back
> > port this scalability improvement and include it in a next bug fix
> release.
> > For that, I suggest to write on the JIRA thread.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Till
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 8:52 AM shimin yang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> -1
> >>
> >> Could you merge the FLINK-10243 into release 1.6.1. I think the
> >> configurable latency metrics will be quite useful and not much work to
> >> merge.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Shimin
> >>
> >> vino yang <[hidden email]> 于2018年9月20日周四 下午2:08写道:

> is

> >> updated

> >> issues.

> >> [hidden email]>

> version
> >> comments)

> >> releases
> >> [4],

> >> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180/
> >> > >
> >> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1178/

> >> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1180/
> >> > >
> >> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1178/

> >> based

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.6.1, release candidate #1

Timo Walther-2
+1 (binding)

- Checked all issues that went into the release (I found two JIRA issue
that have been incorrectly marked)
- Built the source and verify locally successfully
- Run a couple of end-to-end tests successfully

Regards,
Timo

Am 20.09.18 um 11:13 schrieb Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai:

> +1 (binding)
>
> - Verified checksums / signatures
> - Checked announcement PR in flink-web
> - Built Flink from sources, test + build passes (Hadoop-free, Scala 2.11)
> - Ran Elasticsearch 6 sink, using quickstart POM.
> - Ran end-to-end tests locally, passes
>
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 4:31 PM Till Rohrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1 (binding)
>>
>> - Verified checksums and signatures
>> - Ran all end-to-end tests
>> - Executed Jepsen test suite (including test for standby JobManager)
>> - Build Flink from sources
>> - Verified that no new dependencies were added
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Till
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 9:23 AM Till Rohrmann <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I would not block the release on FLINK-10243 since you can always
>>> deactivate the latency metrics. Instead we should discuss whether to back
>>> port this scalability improvement and include it in a next bug fix
>> release.
>>> For that, I suggest to write on the JIRA thread.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Till

>> is

>> version

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.6.1, release candidate #1

Till Rohrmann
Thanks everyone for testing and voting on this RC. Hereby I close the vote.
The result will be announced in a separate thread.

Cheers,
Till