[VOTE] Release 1.6.0, release candidate #1

[VOTE] Release 1.6.0, release candidate #1

Till Rohrmann
Hi everyone,
Please review and vote on the release candidate #1 for the version 1.6.0,
as follows:
[ ] +1, Approve the release
[ ] -1, Do not approve the release (please provide specific comments)

The complete staging area is available for your review, which includes:
* JIRA release notes [1],
* the official Apache source release and binary convenience releases to be
deployed to dist.apache.org [2], which are signed with the key with
fingerprint 1F302569A96CFFD5 [3],
* all artifacts to be deployed to the Maven Central Repository [4],
* source code tag "release-1.6.0-rc1" [5],

Please use this document for coordinating testing efforts: [6]

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours. It is adopted by majority
approval, with at least 3 PMC affirmative votes.

Thanks,
Your friendly Release Manager

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315522&version=12342760
[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flink/flink-1.6.0/
[3] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/flink/KEYS
[4] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172
[5]
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=flink.git;a=commit;h=9258e73e4b7dfa075f013d8e72bf3c93b9626f60
[6]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z2P-1NSq3tqVDL0Of0JHCKu4H_Dfzem995mlinv67WM/edit?usp=sharing

Pro-tip: you can create a settings.xml file with these contents:

<settings>
<activeProfiles>
  <activeProfile>flink-1.6.0</activeProfile>
</activeProfiles>
<profiles>
  <profile>
    <id>flink-1.6.0</id>
    <repositories>
      <repository>
        <id>flink-1.6.0</id>
        <url>

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172/
        </url>
      </repository>
      <repository>
        <id>archetype</id>
        <url>

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172/
        </url>
      </repository>
    </repositories>
  </profile>
</profiles>
</settings>

And reference that in you maven commands via --settings
path/to/settings.xml. This is useful for creating a quickstart based on the
staged release and for building against the staged jars.

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.6.0, release candidate #1

Gary Yao
-1 (non-binding)

We introduced a regression: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-9939

Best,
Gary

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 9:38 AM, Till Rohrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Please review and vote on the release candidate #1 for the version 1.6.0,
> as follows:
> [ ] +1, Approve the release
> [ ] -1, Do not approve the release (please provide specific comments)
>

> The complete staging area is available for your review, which includes:
> * JIRA release notes [1],
> * the official Apache source release and binary convenience releases to be
> deployed to dist.apache.org [2], which are signed with the key with
> fingerprint 1F302569A96CFFD5 [3],
> * all artifacts to be deployed to the Maven Central Repository [4],
> * source code tag "release-1.6.0-rc1" [5],
>
> Please use this document for coordinating testing efforts: [6]
>
> The vote will be open for at least 72 hours. It is adopted by majority
> approval, with at least 3 PMC affirmative votes.
>
> Thanks,
> Your friendly Release Manager
>
> [1]
> projectId=12315522&version=12342760
> [2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flink/flink-1.6.0/
> [3] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/flink/KEYS
> [4] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172
> [5]
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=flink.git;a=commit;h=
> 9258e73e4b7dfa075f013d8e72bf3c93b9626f60
> [6]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z2P-1NSq3tqVDL0Of0JHCKu4H_
> Dfzem995mlinv67WM/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Pro-tip: you can create a settings.xml file with these contents:
>
> <settings>
> <activeProfiles>
>   <activeProfile>flink-1.6.0</activeProfile>
> </activeProfiles>
> <profiles>
>   <profile>
>     <id>flink-1.6.0</id>
>     <repositories>
>       <repository>
>         <id>flink-1.6.0</id>
>         <url>
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172/
>         </url>
>       </repository>
>       <repository>
>         <id>archetype</id>
>         <url>
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172/
>         </url>
>       </repository>
>     </repositories>
>   </profile>
> </profiles>
> </settings>
>
> And reference that in you maven commands via --settings
> path/to/settings.xml. This is useful for creating a quickstart based on the
> staged release and for building against the staged jars.

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.6.0, release candidate #1

Till Rohrmann
Thanks for discovering FLINK-9939 Gary. I'm canceling the vote in order to
fix this problem.

Cheers,
Till

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 5:18 PM Gary Yao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >         <url>
> >
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172/
> >         </url>
> >       </repository>
> >       <repository>
> >         <id>archetype</id>
> >         <url>
> >
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172/
> >         </url>
> >       </repository>
> >     </repositories>
> >   </profile>
> > </profiles>
> > </settings>
> >
> > And reference that in you maven commands via --settings
> > path/to/settings.xml. This is useful for creating a quickstart based on
> the
> > staged release and for building against the staged jars.

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.6.0, release candidate #1

Piotr Nowojski
-1

There is one more bug. Flip6 in 1.5.0 seems like introduced regression in resource management in batch: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-9969 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-9969>

It’s not a super new bug, yet still I would block the release until we either fix it or confirm that’s some misconfiguration.

Piotrek

> [...]
>>>        <url>
>>>
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172/
>>>        </url>
>>>      </repository>
>>>      <repository>
>>>        <id>archetype</id>
>>>        <url>
>>>
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172/
>>>        </url>
>>>      </repository>
>>>    </repositories>
>>>  </profile>
>>> </profiles>
>>> </settings>
>>>
>>> And reference that in you maven commands via --settings
>>> path/to/settings.xml. This is useful for creating a quickstart based on
>> the
>>> staged release and for building against the staged jars.

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.6.0, release candidate #1

Renjie Liu
This bug is also introduced in flink 1.5.0, and I'm working on a fix for
it. Hope to include the fix in 1.6.0.

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 8:33 PM Piotr Nowojski <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> -1
>
> There is one more bug. Flip6 in 1.5.0 seems like introduced regression in
> resource management in batch:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-9969 <
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-9969>
>
> It’s not a super new bug, yet still I would block the release until we
> either fix it or confirm that’s some misconfiguration.
>
> Piotrek
>
> > On 25 Jul 2018, at 21:59, Till Rohrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for discovering FLINK-9939 Gary. I'm canceling the vote in order
> > fix this problem.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Till
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 5:18 PM Gary Yao <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> -1 (non-binding)
> >>
> >> We introduced a regression:
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-9939
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Gary

> 1.6.0,

> >> be

> >> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172/
> >>>

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172/

> >> the

Liu, Renjie
Software Engineer, MVAD

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.6.0, release candidate #1

Thomas Weise
Is there something that should be done regarding Chesnay's comment WRT the
REST API:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/513a67e20abbb7e265d976ee9c5824ad3297a89ec275bcd93c08a03c@%3Cdev.flink.apache.org%3E

Thanks,
Thomas

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 7:51 AM Renjie Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This bug is also introduced in flink 1.5.0, and I'm working on a fix for
> it. Hope to include the fix in 1.6.0.
>
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 8:33 PM Piotr Nowojski <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > -1
> >
> > There is one more bug. Flip6 in 1.5.0 seems like introduced regression in
> > resource management in batch:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-9969 <
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-9969>
> >
> > It’s not a super new bug, yet still I would block the release until we
> > either fix it or confirm that’s some misconfiguration.
> >
> > Piotrek
> >
> > > On 25 Jul 2018, at 21:59, Till Rohrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for discovering FLINK-9939 Gary. I'm canceling the vote in order
> > > fix this problem.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Till

> > 1.6.0,

> includes:

> majority

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172

> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172/
> > >>>

> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1172/

> on
> > >>>

> > --
> Liu, Renjie
> Software Engineer, MVAD

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.6.0, release candidate #1

Chesnay Schepler-3
This particular issue about the extended job submission form will be
fixed in 1.6 via FLINK-9942.