[POLL] Who still uses Java 7 with Flink ?

[POLL] Who still uses Java 7 with Flink ?

Stephan Ewen
Hi all!

I would like to get a feeling how much Java 7 is still being used among
Flink users.

At some point, it would be great to drop Java 7 support and make use of
Java 8's new features, but first we would need to get a feeling how much
Java 7 is still used.

Would be happy if users on Java 7 respond here, or even users that have
some insights into how widespread they think Java 7 still is.

Thanks,
Stephan

Re: [POLL] Who still uses Java 7 with Flink ?

Martin Neumann-3
I think this easier done in a straw poll than in an email conversation.

I created one at: http://www.strawpoll.me/12535073

Though I prefer Java 8 most of the time I have to work on Java 7. A lot of the infrastructure I work on still runs Java 7, one of the companies I build a prototype for a while back just updated to Java 7 2 years ago. I doubt we can ditch Java 7 support any time soon if we want to make it easy for companies to use Flink.

cheers Martin

<http://www.strawpoll.me/12535073>

[http://www.strawpoll.me/images/poll-results/12535073.png]<http://www.strawpoll.me/12535073>

What Java version do you use with Fli... - Straw Poll<http://www.strawpoll.me/12535073>
www.strawpoll.me
Vote Now! [Java 8] [Java 7]

________________________________

Re: [POLL] Who still uses Java 7 with Flink ?

Martin Neumann-3
I think this easier done in a straw poll than in an email conversation.
I created one at: http://www.strawpoll.me/12535073
(Note that you have multiple choices.)

Though I prefer Java 8 most of the time I have to work on Java 7. A lot of the infrastructure I work on still runs Java 7, one of the companies I build a prototype for a while back just updated to Java 7 2 years ago. I doubt we can ditch Java 7 support any time soon if we want to make it easy for companies to use Flink.

cheers Martin

//PS sorry if this gets sent twice, we just migrated to a new mail system and a lot of things are broken

________________________________

Re: [POLL] Who still uses Java 7 with Flink ?

Robert Metzger
I've put it also on our Twitter account:
https://twitter.com/ApacheFlink/status/842015062667755521

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Martin Neumann <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think this easier done in a straw poll than in an email conversation.
> I created one at: http://www.strawpoll.me/12535073
> (Note that you have multiple choices.)
>

> Though I prefer Java 8 most of the time I have to work on Java 7. A lot of
> the infrastructure I work on still runs Java 7, one of the companies I
> build a prototype for a while back just updated to Java 7 2 years ago. I
> doubt we can ditch Java 7 support any time soon if we want to make it easy
> for companies to use Flink.
>
> cheers Martin
>
> //PS sorry if this gets sent twice, we just migrated to a new mail system
> and a lot of things are broken
>
> ________________________________

Bowen Li
There's always a tradeoff we need to make. I'm in favor of upgrading to
Java 8 to bring in all new Java features.

The common way I've seen (and I agree) other software upgrading major
things like this is 1) upgrade for next big release without backward
compatibility and notify everyone 2) maintain and patch current, old-tech
compatible version at a reasonably limited scope. Building backward
compatibility is too much for an open sourced project

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 7:10 AM, Robert Metzger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've put it also on our Twitter account:
> https://twitter.com/ApacheFlink/status/842015062667755521
>
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Martin Neumann <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I think this easier done in a straw poll than in an email conversation.
> > I created one at: http://www.strawpoll.me/12535073
> > (Note that you have multiple choices.)
> >

> > Though I prefer Java 8 most of the time I have to work on Java 7. A lot
> of
> > the infrastructure I work on still runs Java 7, one of the companies I
> > build a prototype for a while back just updated to Java 7 2 years ago. I
> > doubt we can ditch Java 7 support any time soon if we want to make it
> easy
> > for companies to use Flink.
> >
> > cheers Martin
> >
> > //PS sorry if this gets sent twice, we just migrated to a new mail system
> > and a lot of things are broken
> >
> > ________________________________

Looks like 9% on twitter and 24% on the mailing list are still using Java 7.

I would vote to keep supporting Java 7 for Flink 1.3 and then revisit once
we are approaching 1.4 in September.

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Bowen Li <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's always a tradeoff we need to make. I'm in favor of upgrading to
> Java 8 to bring in all new Java features.
>
> The common way I've seen (and I agree) other software upgrading major
> things like this is 1) upgrade for next big release without backward
> compatibility and notify everyone 2) maintain and patch current, old-tech
> compatible version at a reasonably limited scope. Building backward
> compatibility is too much for an open sourced project
>

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 7:10 AM, Robert Metzger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I've put it also on our Twitter account:
>> https://twitter.com/ApacheFlink/status/842015062667755521
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Martin Neumann <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I think this easier done in a straw poll than in an email conversation.
>> > I created one at: http://www.strawpoll.me/12535073
>> > (Note that you have multiple choices.)
>> >

>> > Though I prefer Java 8 most of the time I have to work on Java 7. A lot
>> of
>> > the infrastructure I work on still runs Java 7, one of the companies I
>> > build a prototype for a while back just updated to Java 7 2 years ago. I
>> > doubt we can ditch Java 7 support any time soon if we want to make it
>> easy
>> > for companies to use Flink.
>> >
>> > cheers Martin
>> >
>> > //PS sorry if this gets sent twice, we just migrated to a new mail
>> system
>> > and a lot of things are broken
>> >
>> > ________________________________

Hi all,

as promised in March, I want to revive this discussion!

Our users are begging for Scala 2.12 support [1], migration to Akka 2.4
would solve a bunch of shading / dependency issues (Akka 2.4 will remove
Akka's protobuf dependency [2][3]) and generally Java 8's new language
features all speak for dropping Java 7.

Java 8 has been released in March, 2014. Java 7 is unsupported since June
2016.

So what's the feeling in the community regarding the step?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-5005#
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-3211?
focusedCommentId=15274018&page=com.atlassian.jira.
plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15274018

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 2:42 PM, Theodore Vasiloudis <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm sure you've considered this already, but what this data does not
> include is all the potential future users,
> i.e. slower moving organizations (banks etc.) which could be on Java 7
> still.
>
> Whether those are relevant is up for debate.
>
> Cheers,
> Theo
>
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Robert Metzger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, you are right :)
>> I'll put something in my calendar for end of May.
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Greg Hogan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Robert,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the report. Shouldn’t we be revisiting this decision at the
>>> beginning of the new release cycle rather than near the end? There is
>>> currently little cost to staying with Java 7 since no Flink code or pull
>>> requests have been written for Java 8.
>>>
>>> Greg
>>>

>>> On Mar 23, 2017, at 6:37 AM, Robert Metzger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Looks like 9% on twitter and 24% on the mailing list are still using
>>> Java 7.
>>>
>>> I would vote to keep supporting Java 7 for Flink 1.3 and then revisit
>>> once we are approaching 1.4 in September.

Flavio Pompermaier
We're not using Java 7 anymore from last year already.
So +1 to upgrade to java 8 from Okkam

On 8 Jun 2017 5:39 pm, "Robert Metzger" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as promised in March, I want to revive this discussion!
>
> Our users are begging for Scala 2.12 support [1], migration to Akka 2.4
> would solve a bunch of shading / dependency issues (Akka 2.4 will remove
> Akka's protobuf dependency [2][3]) and generally Java 8's new language
> features all speak for dropping Java 7.
>
> Java 8 has been released in March, 2014. Java 7 is unsupported since June
> 2016.
>
> So what's the feeling in the community regarding the step?
>

> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-5005#
> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-3211?focused
> CommentId=15274018&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.
> issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15274018
>

> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 2:42 PM, Theodore Vasiloudis <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm sure you've considered this already, but what this data does not
>> include is all the potential future users,
>> i.e. slower moving organizations (banks etc.) which could be on Java 7
>> still.
>>
>> Whether those are relevant is up for debate.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Theo
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Robert Metzger <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, you are right :)
>>> I'll put something in my calendar for end of May.

Greg Hogan
Is this not two different issues?
- adding builds for Scala 2.12
- upgrading to Java version 1.8

It may be time to switch, but I haven’t seen anything in FLINK-5005 which prevents simply adding Scala 2.12 to our supported build matrix and continuing to build 2.10 / 2.11 against Java 1.7.

Greg

> [...]
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Martin Neumann <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I think this easier done in a straw poll than in an email conversation.
>> > I created one at: http://www.strawpoll.me/12535073 <http://www.strawpoll.me/12535073>
>> > (Note that you have multiple choices.)
>> >

>> > Though I prefer Java 8 most of the time I have to work on Java 7. A lot of
>> > the infrastructure I work on still runs Java 7, one of the companies I
>> > build a prototype for a while back just updated to Java 7 2 years ago. I
>> > doubt we can ditch Java 7 support any time soon if we want to make it easy
>> > for companies to use Flink.
>> >
>> > cheers Martin
>> >
>> > //PS sorry if this gets sent twice, we just migrated to a new mail system

Haohui Mai
+1

There are several high impacts security vulnerabilities in JDK 7 and will
not be addressed.

As a result we completely moved away from JDK 7.

+1 on separating the tasks of supporting Scala 2.12 and JDK 8 in two steps.