Keeping the reference to PACT compiler and Nephele names?

Keeping the reference to PACT compiler and Nephele names?

Henry Saputra
Hi Guys,

There are some references to PACT (compiler) and Nephele, mostly in
comments and variable names, which is the used in the original
Stratosphere impl.

Do we want to keep the names or make it to generic terms like Flink
modek and backend engine?

The reason I asked is that it could confuse new contributors that
coming directly to Flink witour knowing background history of
Stratosphere.

Thanks,

Henry

Re: Keeping the reference to PACT compiler and Nephele names?

Ufuk Celebi-2
Hey Henry,

On 30 Sep 2014, at 07:38, Henry Saputra <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do we want to keep the names or make it to generic terms like Flink
> modek and backend engine?

I think the goal is to ultimately get rid of the names PACT and Nephele and replace them by Flink. We already renamed (I hope all) user facing parts of the system accordingly, but chose to do it in a lazy fashion for the internals to avoid conflicts.

> The reason I asked is that it could confuse new contributors that
> coming directly to Flink witour knowing background history of
> Stratosphere.

I agree.

– Ufuk

Re: Keeping the reference to PACT compiler and Nephele names?

Kostas Tzoumas-2
Yes, the goal is to get rid of the Pact and Nephele references, as they do
not reflect the current state in most cases.

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Ufuk Celebi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Henry,
>
> On 30 Sep 2014, at 07:38, Henry Saputra <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Do we want to keep the names or make it to generic terms like Flink
> > modek and backend engine?
>
> I think the goal is to ultimately get rid of the names PACT and Nephele
> and replace them by Flink. We already renamed (I hope all) user facing
> parts of the system accordingly, but chose to do it in a lazy fashion for
> the internals to avoid conflicts.
>
> > The reason I asked is that it could confuse new contributors that
> > coming directly to Flink witour knowing background history of
> > Stratosphere.
>
> I agree.
>
> – Ufuk

Re: Keeping the reference to PACT compiler and Nephele names?

Henry Saputra
Sounds good. Thanks for the reply, Ufuk and Kostas