[DISCUSS] TravisCI auto cancellation

Greg Hogan
Hi,

Just saw this TravisCI beta feature. I think this would be worthwhile to enable on pull request builds. We could leave branch builds unchanged since there are fewer builds of this type and skipping builds would make it harder to locate a broken build. It’s not uncommon to see three or more builds queued for the same PR and developers cannot cancel builds on the project account.
  https://blog.travis-ci.com/2017-03-22-introducing-auto-cancellation

I’ve enabled this against my personal repo but I believe Apache Infrastructure would need to make the change for the project repo. Flink has been the biggest user of Apache’s TravisCI build pool.

Greg

Re: [DISCUSS] TravisCI auto cancellation

Ted Yu
+1 to Greg's suggestion.

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Greg Hogan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just saw this TravisCI beta feature. I think this would be worthwhile to
> enable on pull request builds. We could leave branch builds unchanged since
> there are fewer builds of this type and skipping builds would make it
> harder to locate a broken build. It’s not uncommon to see three or more
> builds queued for the same PR and developers cannot cancel builds on the
> project account.
>   https://blog.travis-ci.com/2017-03-22-introducing-auto-cancellation
>
> I’ve enabled this against my personal repo but I believe Apache
> Infrastructure would need to make the change for the project repo. Flink
> has been the biggest user of Apache’s TravisCI build pool.
>
> Greg

Re: [DISCUSS] TravisCI auto cancellation

Till Rohrmann
Looking at Flink's Travis account, I've got the feeling that this feature
has already been activated. At least I see some builds (e.g. PR #3625)
where multiple commits where created in a short time and then only the
latest was actually executed. Apart from that I think it's a good idea
since it will help to decrease the waiting queue of Travis builds a bit.

Cheers,
Till

Ticket: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13778 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13778>

> On Mar 29, 2017, at 4:07 AM, Till Rohrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Looking at Flink's Travis account, I've got the feeling that this feature
> has already been activated. At least I see some builds (e.g. PR #3625)
> where multiple commits where created in a short time and then only the
> latest was actually executed. Apart from that I think it's a good idea
> since it will help to decrease the waiting queue of Travis builds a bit.
>
> Cheers,
> Till
>
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 11:57 PM, Ted Yu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1 to Greg's suggestion.
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Greg Hogan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just saw this TravisCI beta feature. I think this would be worthwhile to
>>> enable on pull request builds. We could leave branch builds unchanged
>> since
>>> there are fewer builds of this type and skipping builds would make it
>>> harder to locate a broken build. It’s not uncommon to see three or more
>>> builds queued for the same PR and developers cannot cancel builds on the
>>> project account.
>>>  https://blog.travis-ci.com/2017-03-22-introducing-auto-cancellation
>>>
>>> I’ve enabled this against my personal repo but I believe Apache
>>> Infrastructure would need to make the change for the project repo. Flink
>>> has been the biggest user of Apache’s TravisCI build pool.
>>>
>>> Greg

Re: [DISCUSS] TravisCI auto cancellation

Greg Hogan
Wow, that was a quick response that this feature was already enabled.

> On Mar 29, 2017, at 9:31 AM, Greg Hogan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ticket: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13778 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13778>
>

>> On Mar 29, 2017, at 4:07 AM, Till Rohrmann <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Looking at Flink's Travis account, I've got the feeling that this feature
>> has already been activated. At least I see some builds (e.g. PR #3625)
>> where multiple commits where created in a short time and then only the
>> latest was actually executed. Apart from that I think it's a good idea
>> since it will help to decrease the waiting queue of Travis builds a bit.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Till
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 11:57 PM, Ted Yu <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 to Greg's suggestion.

>>> since

Re: [DISCUSS] TravisCI auto cancellation

Robert Metzger
I think auto cancellation is also enabled for branch builds. I think this
is pretty bad to find out which commit introduced a build instability.

I'll contact INFRA to check this again.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Greg Hogan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow, that was a quick response that this feature was already enabled.
>

> > On Mar 29, 2017, at 9:31 AM, Greg Hogan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Ticket: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13778 <
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13778>
> >

> >> On Mar 29, 2017, at 4:07 AM, Till Rohrmann <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Looking at Flink's Travis account, I've got the feeling that this
> feature
> >> has already been activated. At least I see some builds (e.g. PR #3625)
> >> where multiple commits where created in a short time and then only the
> >> latest was actually executed. Apart from that I think it's a good idea
> >> since it will help to decrease the waiting queue of Travis builds a bit.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Till

> more
> the
> <https://blog.travis-ci.com/2017-03-22-introducing-auto-cancellation>

> Flink

Re: [DISCUSS] TravisCI auto cancellation

Chesnay Schepler-3
I agree, it's useful for pull requests, but in the master it easily
leads to multiple commits in a row
not being tests. Most recent builds are marked as failed because they
were canceled...