[DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

12

[DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Robert Metzger
Hi devs,

I would like to release Apache Flink 1.3.1 with the following fixes:

- FLINK-6812 Elasticsearch 5 release artifacts not published to Maven
central
- FLINK-6783 Wrongly extracted TypeInformations for
WindowedStream::aggregate
- FLINK-6780 ExternalTableSource should add time attributes in the row type
- FLINK-6775 StateDescriptor cannot be shared by multiple subtasks
- FLINK-6763 Inefficient PojoSerializerConfigSnapshot serialization format
- FLINK-6764 Deduplicate stateless TypeSerializers when serializing
composite TypeSerializers

Is there anything else that we need to wait for before we vote on the first
RC?

Regards,
Robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai
Thanks for starting the discussion, Robert.

IMO, we should also include https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6772 (Incorrect ordering of matched state events in Flink CEP).

Cheers,
Gordon

On 2 June 2017 at 11:06:02 AM, Robert Metzger ([hidden email]) wrote:

Hi devs,

I would like to release Apache Flink 1.3.1 with the following fixes:

- FLINK-6812 Elasticsearch 5 release artifacts not published to Maven
central
- FLINK-6783 Wrongly extracted TypeInformations for
WindowedStream::aggregate
- FLINK-6780 ExternalTableSource should add time attributes in the row type
- FLINK-6775 StateDescriptor cannot be shared by multiple subtasks
- FLINK-6763 Inefficient PojoSerializerConfigSnapshot serialization format
- FLINK-6764 Deduplicate stateless TypeSerializers when serializing
composite TypeSerializers

Is there anything else that we need to wait for before we vote on the first
RC?

Regards,
Robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Chesnay Schepler-3
We should give a good error message when the state migration fails as
described in FLINK-6742.

On 02.06.2017 11:05, Robert Metzger wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I would like to release Apache Flink 1.3.1 with the following fixes:
>
> - FLINK-6812 Elasticsearch 5 release artifacts not published to Maven
> central
> - FLINK-6783 Wrongly extracted TypeInformations for
> WindowedStream::aggregate
> - FLINK-6780 ExternalTableSource should add time attributes in the row type
> - FLINK-6775 StateDescriptor cannot be shared by multiple subtasks
> - FLINK-6763 Inefficient PojoSerializerConfigSnapshot serialization format
> - FLINK-6764 Deduplicate stateless TypeSerializers when serializing
> composite TypeSerializers
>
> Is there anything else that we need to wait for before we vote on the first
> RC?
>

> Regards,
> Robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Robert Metzger
I agree with both!

I've attached a label to all JIRAs for the 1.3.1 release. Once this list
has 0 open issues, I'll create 1.3.1:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=labels%20%3D%20flink-rel-1.3.1-blockers

Should https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6643 (Flink restarts job in HA even if NoRestartStrategy is set) also be included?

wrote:

> We should give a good error message when the state migration fails as
> described in FLINK-6742.
>

> On 02.06.2017 11:05, Robert Metzger wrote:
>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I would like to release Apache Flink 1.3.1 with the following fixes:
>>
>> - FLINK-6812 Elasticsearch 5 release artifacts not published to Maven
>> central
>> - FLINK-6783 Wrongly extracted TypeInformations for
>> WindowedStream::aggregate
>> - FLINK-6780 ExternalTableSource should add time attributes in the row
>> type
>> - FLINK-6775 StateDescriptor cannot be shared by multiple subtasks
>> - FLINK-6763 Inefficient PojoSerializerConfigSnapshot serialization format
>> - FLINK-6764 Deduplicate stateless TypeSerializers when serializing
>> composite TypeSerializers
>>
>> Is there anything else that we need to wait for before we vote on the
>> first
>> RC?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Robert Metzger
I don't know for sure. Stephan worked on this feature.
I think the behavior / log messages are misleading and confusing right now.

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Should https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6643 (Flink restarts
> job in HA even if NoRestartStrategy is set) also be included?
>

> On 2 June 2017 at 11:21:33 AM, Robert Metzger ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
> I agree with both!
>
> I've attached a label to all JIRAs for the 1.3.1 release. Once this list
> has 0 open issues, I'll create 1.3.1:
> 20flink-rel-1.3.1-blockers
>
> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Chesnay Schepler <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > We should give a good error message when the state migration fails as
> > described in FLINK-6742.
> >

> > On 02.06.2017 11:05, Robert Metzger wrote:
> >
> >> Hi devs,
> >>
> >> I would like to release Apache Flink 1.3.1 with the following fixes:
> >>
> >> - FLINK-6812 Elasticsearch 5 release artifacts not published to Maven
> >> central
> >> - FLINK-6783 Wrongly extracted TypeInformations for
> >> WindowedStream::aggregate
> >> - FLINK-6780 ExternalTableSource should add time attributes in the row
> >> type
> >> - FLINK-6775 StateDescriptor cannot be shared by multiple subtasks
> >> - FLINK-6763 Inefficient PojoSerializerConfigSnapshot serialization
> format
> >> - FLINK-6764 Deduplicate stateless TypeSerializers when serializing
> >> composite TypeSerializers
> >>
> >> Is there anything else that we need to wait for before we vote on the
> >> first
> >> RC?
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> Robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Nico Kruber
while fixing build issues - what about FLINK-6654?

On Friday, 2 June 2017 11:05:34 CEST Robert Metzger wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I would like to release Apache Flink 1.3.1 with the following fixes:
>
> - FLINK-6812 Elasticsearch 5 release artifacts not published to Maven
> central
> - FLINK-6783 Wrongly extracted TypeInformations for
> WindowedStream::aggregate
> - FLINK-6780 ExternalTableSource should add time attributes in the row type
> - FLINK-6775 StateDescriptor cannot be shared by multiple subtasks
> - FLINK-6763 Inefficient PojoSerializerConfigSnapshot serialization format
> - FLINK-6764 Deduplicate stateless TypeSerializers when serializing
> composite TypeSerializers
>
> Is there anything else that we need to wait for before we vote on the first
> RC?
>

> Regards,
> Robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai
After an offline discussion with Till, we decided to not include FLINK-6763 and FLINK-6764 as blockers for 1.3.1, and only merge them for 1.4.0 since they change serialization formats for checkpoints.

In turn, I’ve included https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6804 as a 1.3.1 blocker.

On 2 June 2017 at 5:27:18 PM, Nico Kruber ([hidden email]) wrote:

while fixing build issues - what about FLINK-6654?

On Friday, 2 June 2017 11:05:34 CEST Robert Metzger wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I would like to release Apache Flink 1.3.1 with the following fixes:
>
> - FLINK-6812 Elasticsearch 5 release artifacts not published to Maven
> central
> - FLINK-6783 Wrongly extracted TypeInformations for
> WindowedStream::aggregate
> - FLINK-6780 ExternalTableSource should add time attributes in the row type
> - FLINK-6775 StateDescriptor cannot be shared by multiple subtasks
> - FLINK-6763 Inefficient PojoSerializerConfigSnapshot serialization format
> - FLINK-6764 Deduplicate stateless TypeSerializers when serializing
> composite TypeSerializers
>
> Is there anything else that we need to wait for before we vote on the first
> RC?
>

> Regards,
> Robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Robert Metzger
From the list [1], not many of the JIRAs have been fixed.
I think it would be nice to put the RC for 1.3.1 out this week, given that
multiple users have complained about some issues in the 1.3.0 release.

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=labels%20%3D%20flink-rel-1.3.1-blockers

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> After an offline discussion with Till, we decided to not include
> FLINK-6763 and FLINK-6764 as blockers for 1.3.1, and only merge them for
> 1.4.0 since they change serialization formats for checkpoints.
>
> In turn, I’ve included https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6804 as
> a 1.3.1 blocker.
>

> On 2 June 2017 at 5:27:18 PM, Nico Kruber ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
> while fixing build issues - what about FLINK-6654?
>
> On Friday, 2 June 2017 11:05:34 CEST Robert Metzger wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I would like to release Apache Flink 1.3.1 with the following fixes:
> >
> > - FLINK-6812 Elasticsearch 5 release artifacts not published to Maven
> > central
> > - FLINK-6783 Wrongly extracted TypeInformations for
> > WindowedStream::aggregate
> > - FLINK-6780 ExternalTableSource should add time attributes in the row
> type
> > - FLINK-6775 StateDescriptor cannot be shared by multiple subtasks
> > - FLINK-6763 Inefficient PojoSerializerConfigSnapshot serialization
> format
> > - FLINK-6764 Deduplicate stateless TypeSerializers when serializing
> > composite TypeSerializers
> >
> > Is there anything else that we need to wait for before we vote on the
> first
> > RC?
> >

> > Regards,
> > Robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Aljoscha Krettek-2
I would also like to raise another potential blocker: it’s currently not easily possible for users to start a job in local mode in the IDE and to then interact with that cluster, say for experimenting with queryable state. At least one user walked into this problem already with the 1.3.0 RC: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E>

The reasons I have so far analysed are:
 * the local flink cluster starts with HAServices that don’t allow external querying, by default. (Broadly spoken)
 * the queryable state server is not started in the local flink mini cluster anymore and it cannot be configured to do so easily

What do you think?

Best,
Aljoscha

> On 7. Jun 2017, at 11:54, Robert Metzger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> From the list [1], not many of the JIRAs have been fixed.
> I think it would be nice to put the RC for 1.3.1 out this week, given that
> multiple users have complained about some issues in the 1.3.0 release.
>

> [1]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=labels%20%3D%20flink-rel-1.3.1-blockers
>
> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> After an offline discussion with Till, we decided to not include
>> FLINK-6763 and FLINK-6764 as blockers for 1.3.1, and only merge them for
>> 1.4.0 since they change serialization formats for checkpoints.
>>
>> In turn, I’ve included https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6804 as
>> a 1.3.1 blocker.
>>

>> On 2 June 2017 at 5:27:18 PM, Nico Kruber ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>
>> while fixing build issues - what about FLINK-6654?
>>
>> On Friday, 2 June 2017 11:05:34 CEST Robert Metzger wrote:
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> I would like to release Apache Flink 1.3.1 with the following fixes:
>>>
>>> - FLINK-6812 Elasticsearch 5 release artifacts not published to Maven
>>> central
>>> - FLINK-6783 Wrongly extracted TypeInformations for
>>> WindowedStream::aggregate
>>> - FLINK-6780 ExternalTableSource should add time attributes in the row
>> type
>>> - FLINK-6775 StateDescriptor cannot be shared by multiple subtasks
>>> - FLINK-6763 Inefficient PojoSerializerConfigSnapshot serialization
>> format
>>> - FLINK-6764 Deduplicate stateless TypeSerializers when serializing
>>> composite TypeSerializers
>>>
>>> Is there anything else that we need to wait for before we vote on the
>> first
>>> RC?
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Till Rohrmann
There should be an easy work-around for this problem. Start a standalone
cluster and run the queries against this cluster. But I also see that it
might be annoying for users who used to do it differently. The basic
question here should be whether we want the users to use the
LocalFlinkMiniCluster in a remote setting (running queries against it from
a different process).

Cheers,
Till

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Aljoscha Krettek <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I would also like to raise another potential blocker: it’s currently not
> easily possible for users to start a job in local mode in the IDE and to
> then interact with that cluster, say for experimenting with queryable
> state. At least one user walked into this problem already with the 1.3.0
> RC: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5
> d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E <
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5
> d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E>
>
> The reasons I have so far analysed are:
>  * the local flink cluster starts with HAServices that don’t allow
> external querying, by default. (Broadly spoken)
>  * the queryable state server is not started in the local flink mini
> cluster anymore and it cannot be configured to do so easily
>
> What do you think?
>
> Best,
> Aljoscha
> > On 7. Jun 2017, at 11:54, Robert Metzger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > From the list [1], not many of the JIRAs have been fixed.
> > I think it would be nice to put the RC for 1.3.1 out this week, given
> that
> > multiple users have complained about some issues in the 1.3.0 release.
> >

> > [1]
> 20flink-rel-1.3.1-blockers
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> After an offline discussion with Till, we decided to not include
> >> FLINK-6763 and FLINK-6764 as blockers for 1.3.1, and only merge them for
> >> 1.4.0 since they change serialization formats for checkpoints.
> >>
> >> In turn, I’ve included https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6804
> as
> >> a 1.3.1 blocker.
> >>

> >> On 2 June 2017 at 5:27:18 PM, Nico Kruber ([hidden email])
> wrote:
> >>
> >> while fixing build issues - what about FLINK-6654?

> >> type
> >> format

> >> first

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Aljoscha Krettek-2
Yes, there is a workaround, as mentioned in the other thread: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E>. It’s just a bit cumbersome but I agree that it’s not a blocker now.

Best,
Aljoscha

> On 8. Jun 2017, at 09:47, Till Rohrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There should be an easy work-around for this problem. Start a standalone
> cluster and run the queries against this cluster. But I also see that it
> might be annoying for users who used to do it differently. The basic
> question here should be whether we want the users to use the
> LocalFlinkMiniCluster in a remote setting (running queries against it from
> a different process).
>
> Cheers,
> Till
>
> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Aljoscha Krettek <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I would also like to raise another potential blocker: it’s currently not
>> easily possible for users to start a job in local mode in the IDE and to
>> then interact with that cluster, say for experimenting with queryable
>> state. At least one user walked into this problem already with the 1.3.0
>> RC: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5
>> d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E <
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5
>> d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E>
>>
>> The reasons I have so far analysed are:
>> * the local flink cluster starts with HAServices that don’t allow
>> external querying, by default. (Broadly spoken)
>> * the queryable state server is not started in the local flink mini
>> cluster anymore and it cannot be configured to do so easily
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Best,
>> Aljoscha
>>> On 7. Jun 2017, at 11:54, Robert Metzger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> From the list [1], not many of the JIRAs have been fixed.
>>> I think it would be nice to put the RC for 1.3.1 out this week, given
>> that
>>> multiple users have complained about some issues in the 1.3.0 release.
>>>

>>> [1]
>> 20flink-rel-1.3.1-blockers
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai <
>> [hidden email]>

>> as

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai
I’ve just merged the last blockers for 1.3.1. IMO, the release process for 1.3.1 is ready for kick off.

On 8 June 2017 at 10:32:47 AM, Aljoscha Krettek ([hidden email]) wrote:

Yes, there is a workaround, as mentioned in the other thread: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E>. It’s just a bit cumbersome but I agree that it’s not a blocker now.

Best,
Aljoscha

> On 8. Jun 2017, at 09:47, Till Rohrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There should be an easy work-around for this problem. Start a standalone
> cluster and run the queries against this cluster. But I also see that it
> might be annoying for users who used to do it differently. The basic
> question here should be whether we want the users to use the
> LocalFlinkMiniCluster in a remote setting (running queries against it from
> a different process).
>
> Cheers,
> Till
>
> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Aljoscha Krettek <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I would also like to raise another potential blocker: it’s currently not
>> easily possible for users to start a job in local mode in the IDE and to
>> then interact with that cluster, say for experimenting with queryable
>> state. At least one user walked into this problem already with the 1.3.0
>> RC: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5
>> d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E <
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5
>> d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E>
>>
>> The reasons I have so far analysed are:
>> * the local flink cluster starts with HAServices that don’t allow
>> external querying, by default. (Broadly spoken)
>> * the queryable state server is not started in the local flink mini
>> cluster anymore and it cannot be configured to do so easily
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Best,
>> Aljoscha
>>> On 7. Jun 2017, at 11:54, Robert Metzger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> From the list [1], not many of the JIRAs have been fixed.
>>> I think it would be nice to put the RC for 1.3.1 out this week, given
>> that
>>> multiple users have complained about some issues in the 1.3.0 release.
>>>

>>> [1]
>> 20flink-rel-1.3.1-blockers
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai <
>> [hidden email]>

>> as

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

jincheng sun
Hi Robert,
 From user mail-list I find 2 bugs as follows:

I'm not sure if they are as the release blocker. But I think is better to
merged those two PR. into 1.3.1 release.
What do you think? @Fabian, @Timo, @Robert

Best,
SunJincheng

> I’ve just merged the last blockers for 1.3.1. IMO, the release process for
> 1.3.1 is ready for kick off.
>

> On 8 June 2017 at 10:32:47 AM, Aljoscha Krettek ([hidden email])
> wrote:
>
> Yes, there is a workaround, as mentioned in the other thread:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5
> d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E <
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5
> d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E>. It’s just a bit
> cumbersome but I agree that it’s not a blocker now.
>
> Best,
> Aljoscha
> > On 8. Jun 2017, at 09:47, Till Rohrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > There should be an easy work-around for this problem. Start a standalone
> > cluster and run the queries against this cluster. But I also see that it
> > might be annoying for users who used to do it differently. The basic
> > question here should be whether we want the users to use the
> > LocalFlinkMiniCluster in a remote setting (running queries against it
> from
> > a different process).
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Till
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Aljoscha Krettek <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I would also like to raise another potential blocker: it’s currently not
> >> easily possible for users to start a job in local mode in the IDE and to
> >> then interact with that cluster, say for experimenting with queryable
> >> state. At least one user walked into this problem already with the 1.3.0
> >> RC: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5
> >> d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E <
> >> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5
> >> d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E>
> >>
> >> The reasons I have so far analysed are:
> >> * the local flink cluster starts with HAServices that don’t allow
> >> external querying, by default. (Broadly spoken)
> >> * the queryable state server is not started in the local flink mini
> >> cluster anymore and it cannot be configured to do so easily
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Aljoscha

> >> that

> >> 20flink-rel-1.3.1-blockers

> >> [hidden email]>

> for

> jira/browse/FLINK-6804
> >> as

> row

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Chesnay Schepler-3
I would like to include FLINK-6898 and FLINK-6900 in 1.3.1.

They are related to the metric system, and limit the size of individual
metric name components
as the default window operator names are so long they were causing
issues with file-system based
storages because the components exceeded 255 characters.

They both have open PRs and change 1 and 3 lines respectively, so it's
very fast to review.

A quick Jira search reveals one blocker: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6685?filter=12334772&jql=project%20%3D%20FLINK%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20affectedVersion%20%3D%201.3.0 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6685?filter=12334772&jql=project%20=%20FLINK%20AND%20priority%20=%20Blocker%20AND%20resolution%20=%20Unresolved%20AND%20affectedVersion%20=%201.3.0>

> On 13. Jun 2017, at 10:12, Chesnay Schepler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I would like to include FLINK-6898 and FLINK-6900 in 1.3.1.
>
> They are related to the metric system, and limit the size of individual metric name components
> as the default window operator names are so long they were causing issues with file-system based
> storages because the components exceeded 255 characters.
>
> They both have open PRs and change 1 and 3 lines respectively, so it's very fast to review.
>
> On 13.06.2017 09:33, jincheng sun wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>  From user mail-list I find 2 bugs as follows:
>>
>>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6886
>>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6896
>>
>> I'm not sure if they are as the release blocker. But I think is better to
>> merged those two PR. into 1.3.1 release.
>> What do you think? @Fabian, @Timo, @Robert
>>
>> Best,
>> SunJincheng

>>> I’ve just merged the last blockers for 1.3.1. IMO, the release process for
>>> 1.3.1 is ready for kick off.
>>>

>>> On 8 June 2017 at 10:32:47 AM, Aljoscha Krettek ([hidden email])
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, there is a workaround, as mentioned in the other thread:
>>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5
>>> d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E <
>>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5
>>> d3453208fab61515ab1a2f6bf7@%3Cuser.flink.apache.org%3E>. It’s just a bit
>>> cumbersome but I agree that it’s not a blocker now.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Aljoscha

>>> from

>>> for

>>> jira/browse/FLINK-6804

>>> row

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Till Rohrmann
I've just merged the fix for this blocker (FLINK-6685).

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Aljoscha Krettek <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> A quick Jira search reveals one blocker: https://issues.apache.org/
> jira/browse/FLINK-6685?filter=12334772&jql=project%20%3D%
> 20FLINK%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%
> 20Unresolved%20AND%20affectedVersion%20%3D%201.3.0 <
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6685?filter=
> 12334772&jql=project%20=%20FLINK%20AND%20priority%20=%
> 20Blocker%20AND%20resolution%20=%20Unresolved%20AND%
> 20affectedVersion%20=%201.3.0>
>
> > On 13. Jun 2017, at 10:12, Chesnay Schepler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to include FLINK-6898 and FLINK-6900 in 1.3.1.
> >
> > They are related to the metric system, and limit the size of individual
> metric name components
> > as the default window operator names are so long they were causing
> issues with file-system based
> > storages because the components exceeded 255 characters.
> >
> > They both have open PRs and change 1 and 3 lines respectively, so it's
> very fast to review.
> >
> > On 13.06.2017 09:33, jincheng sun wrote:
> >> Hi Robert,
> >>  From user mail-list I find 2 bugs as follows:
> >>
> >>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6886
> >>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6896
> >>
> >> I'm not sure if they are as the release blocker. But I think is better
> >> merged those two PR. into 1.3.1 release.
> >> What do you think? @Fabian, @Timo, @Robert
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> SunJincheng

> for

> bit

> standalone
> it

> not
> and to
> 1.3.0
> eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5

> given
> release.

> them

> fixes:

> Maven
> serialization
> serializing

> the

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Robert Metzger
I looks like all blockers for the 1.3.1 release have been merged.

I'll now create the RC for it. I think we need to get the RC out asap. Many
users complained about the missing elasticsearch5 connector.

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Till Rohrmann <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I've just merged the fix for this blocker (FLINK-6685).
>
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Aljoscha Krettek <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > A quick Jira search reveals one blocker: https://issues.apache.org/
> > jira/browse/FLINK-6685?filter=12334772&jql=project%20%3D%
> > 20FLINK%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%
> > 20Unresolved%20AND%20affectedVersion%20%3D%201.3.0 <
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6685?filter=
> > 12334772&jql=project%20=%20FLINK%20AND%20priority%20=%
> > 20Blocker%20AND%20resolution%20=%20Unresolved%20AND%
> > 20affectedVersion%20=%201.3.0>
> >
> > > On 13. Jun 2017, at 10:12, Chesnay Schepler <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > I would like to include FLINK-6898 and FLINK-6900 in 1.3.1.
> > >
> > > They are related to the metric system, and limit the size of individual
> > metric name components
> > > as the default window operator names are so long they were causing
> > issues with file-system based
> > > storages because the components exceeded 255 characters.
> > >
> > > They both have open PRs and change 1 and 3 lines respectively, so it's
> > very fast to review.

> process
> > for

> )

> > bit

> > standalone
> that
> > it
> it

> [hidden email]

> currently
> > not
> > and to
> queryable
> > 1.3.0
> > eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5
> eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5

> > given
> > release.

> > them

> [hidden email])

> > fixes:

> > Maven
> the
> subtasks
> > serialization
> > serializing

> on
> > the

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

Fabian Hueske-2
I don't think that

are blockers but it would be good to include them.
I'll try to review the PRs today and merge them.

Cheers, Fabian

> I've just merged the fix for this blocker (FLINK-6685).
>
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Aljoscha Krettek <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > A quick Jira search reveals one blocker: https://issues.apache.org/
> > jira/browse/FLINK-6685?filter=12334772&jql=project%20%3D%
> > 20FLINK%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%
> > 20Unresolved%20AND%20affectedVersion%20%3D%201.3.0 <
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6685?filter=
> > 12334772&jql=project%20=%20FLINK%20AND%20priority%20=%
> > 20Blocker%20AND%20resolution%20=%20Unresolved%20AND%
> > 20affectedVersion%20=%201.3.0>
> >
> > > On 13. Jun 2017, at 10:12, Chesnay Schepler <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > I would like to include FLINK-6898 and FLINK-6900 in 1.3.1.
> > >
> > > They are related to the metric system, and limit the size of individual
> > metric name components
> > > as the default window operator names are so long they were causing
> > issues with file-system based
> > > storages because the components exceeded 255 characters.
> > >
> > > They both have open PRs and change 1 and 3 lines respectively, so it's
> > very fast to review.

> process
> > for

> )

> > bit

> > standalone
> that
> > it
> it

> [hidden email]

> currently
> > not
> > and to
> queryable
> > 1.3.0
> > eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5
> eb7e256146fbe069a4210e1690fac5

> > given
> > release.

> > them

> [hidden email])

> > fixes:

> > Maven
> the
> subtasks
> > serialization
> > serializing

> on
> > the

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flink 1.3.1

jincheng sun
Hi @Robert,
I agree with @Fabian.
And thanks for review those PRs. @Fabian.

Cheers,
SunJincheng

> I don't think that

> are blockers but it would be good to include them.
> I'll try to review the PRs today and merge them.
>
> Cheers, Fabian

> > I've just merged the fix for this blocker (FLINK-6685).
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Aljoscha Krettek <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > A quick Jira search reveals one blocker: https://issues.apache.org/
> > > jira/browse/FLINK-6685?filter=12334772&jql=project%20%3D%
> > > 20FLINK%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%
> > > 20Unresolved%20AND%20affectedVersion%20%3D%201.3.0 <
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6685?filter=
> > > 12334772&jql=project%20=%20FLINK%20AND%20priority%20=%
> > > 20Blocker%20AND%20resolution%20=%20Unresolved%20AND%
> > > 20affectedVersion%20=%201.3.0>

> individual
> > > metric name components
> > > issues with file-system based